André Rieu News From Europe ♦ USA ♦ Australia ♦ SA ♦ UK ♦ The World


Number One André Rieu Site For English Speaking Fans Around The World!
With The Latest News - Photos - English Translations and More!

WELCOME AND ENJOY ! FROM YOUR WEB HOSTS ~ JOHN AND SUZANNE

.

.
►Click on Photo To See and Hear Nightingale Serenade

Jan 18, 2020

André Rieu - I Have To Live in a Castle


Gazet van Antwerpen (Antwerp newspaper). January 5th 2020. By Karel Moors - World famous Dutch orchestra leader André Rieu celebrates the New Year also in Antwerp, Belgium on January 12th 2020 in the Sport Palace.

I have to live in a castle, because I am the King of the Waltz
Violinist and orchestra leader André Rieu recently turned 70. The world famous Maastricht resident speaks about his severe upbringing, the cool bond with his father and the increasing success. “I have the feeling that it starts now! Seriously!”

“D’Artagnan, one of the three musketeers ate his last breakfast in this kitchen. He died later that day." Violinist and orchestra leader André Rieu talks about the anecdote at his home, a charming little castle in Maastricht. The 70 year old Rieu is very successful: during his career he has already earned over 493 million Euros. But here in his castle, "the King of the Waltz" can relax. “From a financial perspective, buying a castle is very unwise. But yes, I have to live in a castle: I am "the King of the Waltz”. (laughing).

Since recently you are on tram 7
Tram 7?? Do you mean my age?? I looked forward to 70, I did not mind it.

Do you have much time to relax?
Oh yes, I can do that every day. I watch Netflix for a bit, or I nap in between. I sleep a lot. I can always sleep, every moment of the day.

Isn't there anything that keeps you awake?
I had that after we copied Schönbrunn Palace and we ran out of money. (Rieu had created an enormous décor which turned out to be so expensive that he went bankrupt, red).

That was not so nice. Fortunately we prevailed, and how ... The copied castle was such an advertising stunt that we profited 20 million the year after, while the year before we were 30 million in the red. The bankers from whom we had borrowed the money were in this room looking around and considering what more they could take. But one banker said: “No, we are not going to do that. Let him keep playing on, because that is the only way we are going to get our money back”. We are doing well now. 2019 was a top year and next year will probably be even better. Thanks to the social media I think. More and more people learn to know me via the internet.

There will also be a cinema film?
Yes, that is my son’s project. At first I did not like it so much, but I hear that the cinemas are filled with people who enjoy a streamed concert just as much as a live concert. And now that I turned 70, they want to release such a film. I read that Bruce Springsteen recently also turned 70 and is also releasing a film. That was not agreed upon though (laughing). And in 70 years we will again release a film, because I want to become 140.

You want to become 140 years old?
Yes, for sure! I try to live healthy, I work out regularly. Don’t play tennis anymore (points to his elbow) because that is not good for a violinist. Now I do power lifting with a personal trainer.

Most people slow down a little when they’re 70
I have the feeling that it is now just starting. Seriously! I notice that while traveling the world; finally people in the streets recognize me now. And then of course they also buy tickets. It is amazing.

You are mostly radiant on stage. Do you ever have a bad day?
No, never, unless I am ill. Even then I try to smile and go on. I have 120 persons on my payroll. I give them attention and they reciprocate back to me with 100% job satisfaction.
You know, of course I am the boss. And I am also the conductor of the orchestra. And an orchestra is no democracy, only one is the boss. Period.

Are you a strict boss?
Yes. Very sweet but strict and they know that very well (laughs heartily). But I am also a very respectful boss. Sometimes, when someone is playing a solo, I think - “I would have done that differently, but it sounds very good”. Then I leave it like that. You have to lift the people up. That is a boss’s task. A good boss.

Did you have to learn to be a boss? Or was that in you?
In early days I was part of my father’s orchestra. That was not nice. He was a different kind of boss. You know, with always pointing the finger. I learned NOT to do that like my father did!!

Did your father André Rieu senior experience your success?
No. We did not have such a good relationship either. I started with a Salon Orchestra. I then played for weddings and parties which my father did not like that at all. He looked down upon that.

What would your father say if he could see what you’ve accomplished today?
I really would not know. It is easy to say: “He would be proud”. But he was not that kind of person. I have never experienced my father saying: “Gosh, I am so proud of you”. I never heard that. He never said so. Never. Not even when I was a little boy. That is cold, but I have to deal with that. My mother was also strict with me; I was not allowed to look the people in the eyes. But I like doing that. I love to make contact with people, with entire halls. And I think that is also my strength. Well, I think I have always been different than the family at home.

You are the King of the Waltz, but are you actually a good waltz dancer? 
No, not at all. Sometimes I dance a little bit at home, with my wife, but not in public. I play the violin and the others dance. Let’s leave it that way!


Thanks to Ineke for the article and her and John's Translation

1 comment:

Francine Chavanon said...

André le Roi de la Valse, bien sûr qu'il est normal qu'il habite un château et qu'il y soit heureux et détendu au retour de ses merveilleux concerts, il y retrouve sa famille et peut se reposer. Bravo et merci pour cette belle musique qui rend le public si heureux. Une inconditionnelle depuis la France et depuis toujours. Francine .

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO CONTINUE READING ALL ARTICLES ON THE HARMONY PARLOR!!

.

.

.

.
Pierre and André September 30, 2016 Maastricht

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
Photo Taken at Mexico City Concert ~ September 2013

.

.

.

.
"Hello to all my fans on The Harmony Parlor!"


Soundcheck in Maastricht 2013 (RTL Photo)



Maastricht 2012 ~ "André on The Theater Steps" by Bee

Maastricht 2012 ~ "André and Pierre on The Theater Steps" by Bee

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST WEEK

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST THIRTY DAYS

TOP TEN ALL TIME VIEWED POSTS