André Rieu News From Europe ♦ USA ♦ Australia ♦ SA ♦ UK ♦ The World


Number One André Rieu Site For English Speaking Fans Around The World!
With The Latest News - Photos - English Translations and More!

WELCOME AND ENJOY ! FROM YOUR WEB HOSTS ~ JOHN AND SUZANNE

.

.
►Click on Photo To See and Hear Nightingale Serenade

Jan 11, 2012

Getting Acquainted With Clarinetist Manoe Konings

Getting Acquainted With Clarinetist
Manoe Konings
Manoe Konings was reading music before she knew her A B C’s. As a little girl she used to tell her mother about the three things in life she wanted the most: making music, to become famous and to reach the age of 96. Two of the three have become reality already.  
"My grandfather was a trumpet player. He also wrote lines for comedians and songs for carnival. From him I inherited the love for music. As a little girl I played the clarinet with the marching band "Heer Voouit." I was the only girl and can still vividly remember the discussions we had whether I should wear slacks or a skirt. Luckily it became slacks. We played a wide varied musical repertoire: opera overtures, marches, Ravel’s "Bolero". Afterwards I attended the conservatory in Maastricht, and played in several regular orchestras. I did not feel comfortable there. Since 1989 I have been with André and the Johann Strauss Orchestra. An open lovely and relaxed atmosphere prevails there. In the beginning we were with just twelve people. Now we have about sixty orchestra members.  
André builds bridges. He noticed that a large portion of the general public was not receiving any culture, that a large void existed. He really makes contact with his audience, that is his strength, and so he gives the people an unforgettable gift. At that time Strauss too stood on stage in front of the public, people were allowed to laugh and react, and did not really need to know how or what, or know the titles of the music pieces by heart. That is not essential; either it clicks or it doesn’t. During a rehearsal I once made a joke about a bagpipe. André asked me directly if I would like to learn to play it. A bagpipe is just like a clarinet, it is a reed instrument, but only has eight notes, and demands a lot of strength. Blowing and pressing simultaneously is the most difficult. The startup of a bagpipe is difficult, sometimes it collapses; is it going to play or not?  
Every evening I play "Amazing Grace" on the bagpipe. I try playing that with the happiness and open heart of a child. The entire venue cries, time and time again.  
In 2001 I received the devastating news that I had breast cancer. I was left with the choice of no longer being able to tour the world with André and the orchestra. One thing I knew for sure: if I stop making music I’ll die. It might sound strange, but cancer was the best thing that happened to me, I enjoy life so much more. Music wise I play differently too. I listen to my inner feelings, myself. I am content the way I am, and I treat people the same way I would like to be treated. Music is my oxygen, and saved my life". 
Manoe Konings was born in Maastricht in 1961. She plays clarinet, saxophone, bagpipes, guitar, sings and dances and is a true entertainer on stage. She also likes to race through town in a leather jacket on her motorcycle.
Thanks to John for the Translation of this Magazine Article 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Spoken like a true adventurer, thanks for posting this wonderful article on Manoe.

Martha

Christine Johnson said...

Thank you for the wonderful article I have always enjoyed seeing Manoe, in all the DVDs and when Andre & JSO were in Newcastle last April. She is a fantastic entertainer, many thanks for the translation from John,

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the translation. Manoe is one of my favorites along with Teun. Hope to see something on him as well. Sandy

Anonymous said...

Manoe - my absolute favourite. But what one can read about her is only part of the story. there is more, but not for public consumption. I really hope she will live until she is 96
khb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the lovely article about Manoe. She is my favorite too. I think she is a very spontanious and talented woman with a lot of courage. I hope she will keep on making music, It surely is a remedy like nothing else can ever be.Thanks Manoe! and keep on and hold fast.
Fan from South Africa

Don. said...

Thank you for the above article on Manoe this old Englishman enjoys watching her onstage with JSO.....I wish her a long and happy life from now on hoping she gets to 96........and Manoe,Thank you for the music! Regards. Don Allen.(UK).

Priscilla Rogers said...

I dearly love the videos of the JSO, and watch for Manoe. She is spontaneous, and if she is anything in person like she is on stage, she would be a joy to meet. Music is my life, too, so I do understand how it is so important to her. She is my favorite!

Unknown said...

A South African now living in the UK. Manoe is my favourite musician in the Andre Rieu outfit. She has amazing energy and puts her everything into each performance. Loads of fun as well. I love it when she plays the bagpipes. Graham Davidson.

Anonymous said...

I think manor is an inspiration, had such a rough time and still came through it laughing. I think I love her .see you all in Manchester December 2015

Mary Wichmanowski Karnstedt said...

Thanks for giving us her real name. We SWEAR Andre introduced her as Suzie. We'll have to watch all of our Andre DVD's at LEAST one more time to find out when he did! lol

edward powell said...

Edward Powell Sandbach Cheshire U.K. Manoe is I feel, a real star in Andre's orchestra,I enjoy everything she does on stage, a real joy to watch, I will be watching out for her Dec 18th in Manchester, and hope to get good shots and video of her. It would be great if we could see a photo of her in her bike leathers.Long may she carry on giving joy to soo many people. Thank you Manoe.

Unknown said...

This very talented young lady has brought to me many hours of enjoyment. Her fun and beautiful smile enriched my evenings. I shall miss her. God bless and R.I.P.

Theodor said...

Haar overlijden is het verdriet van ons allemaal

Unknown said...

Manoe is such a delight to watch playing with the orchestra. She is always the first one for whom search, making sure she is still there. I just love it when she starts her clowing. Sch a treat to bring a smile to one's face.

Unknown said...

Love her- So beautiful and gifted. I Can watc3h and listen to her for ever.
X

Unknown said...

Love her- So beautiful and gifted. I Can watch and listen to her for ever.
Xs

angela said...

I miss and love Andre and the orchestra. I will be so happy when the covid 19 v78r






















































































































I miss and love Andre and the orchestra so much and am looking forward to the day when we can see them live once more and hopefully I will see them on a concert in Maastricht.I listen and watch the videos nearly 24 hours per day and only stop because family will get in touch by phone. The music and videos keep me happy through this terrible time in all our lives. I also have great admiration for Manoe who so brilliantly plays several instruments. I also share the same birth date except I was born on 10th March 1951. She is such a funny lady and it must be a real joy to have her around. Stay well and safe everybody until we all meet again.





















Unknown said...

I look forward to Monday in the UK.It's time for May favorite music from Andrea and his orchestra. Why only once a week, it should be on far more often. Great music

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO CONTINUE READING ALL ARTICLES ON THE HARMONY PARLOR!!

.

.

.

.
Pierre and André September 30, 2016 Maastricht

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
Photo Taken at Mexico City Concert ~ September 2013

.

.

.

.
"Hello to all my fans on The Harmony Parlor!"


Soundcheck in Maastricht 2013 (RTL Photo)



Maastricht 2012 ~ "André on The Theater Steps" by Bee

Maastricht 2012 ~ "André and Pierre on The Theater Steps" by Bee

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST WEEK

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST THIRTY DAYS

TOP TEN ALL TIME VIEWED POSTS