André Rieu News From Europe ♦ USA ♦ Australia ♦ SA ♦ UK ♦ The World


Number One André Rieu Site For English Speaking Fans Around The World!
With The Latest News - Photos - English Translations and More!

WELCOME AND ENJOY ! FROM YOUR WEB HOSTS ~ JOHN AND SUZANNE

.

.
►Click on Photo To See and Hear Nightingale Serenade

Oct 3, 2019

André Rieu Interview in Maastricht A sensitive String

Interview With André Rieu in Maastricht
A Sensitive String

Orchestra leader André Rieu turns 70 today, but he continues to play. A walk with the Maastricht violinist, who never received the recognition from his parents.

Volkskrant  Oct. 1st 2019. Translated fragments from the article
By Gijs Beukers and Merlijn Kerkhof - We suggested to start the walk on the Vrijthof square, the epic center of the Rieu worship. André was accompanied by his lady of press affairs, the German Marie, and two body guards. We had been given a 30 minute time for the interview. Soon we noticed that it was not the best idea to go to the Vrijthof. Even on a drizzly autumn afternoon André seems to be a magnet for passers-by who ask him for autographs or take selfies with him. Rieu took the time and talked to them in fluent German, French, Dutch and Maastricht dialect.  When it started to rain, we went to the “Hoofdwacht” a neo-classical building at the Vrijthof, to take shelter under the gallery, and there we were not too noticable for passers-by.

Do you ever get tired of the attention?
No, only if fans claim me. In the beginning of my career I was in France. A boy in a tuxedo was playing the violin on a square and I immediately noticed that he was forced by his parents. They said to me: “He is terminally ill, he only has two more months to live and you should play with him”. I did not believe them and I did not do it. The boy is still alive. These kind of things often happen.

What happens to the Johann Strauss Orchestra when you stop?
I don’t know. When the two Strauss boys died, their orchestras stopped.

Are there people in the world who do what you are doing?
I don’t think so. Apparently it is more difficult than you think, to travel the world with 200 people.

Do you think that you get enough recognition in the Netherlands?
In the meantime, yes. The same happened to André van Duin. When he started, people thought him to be too straight forward. As soon as a renowned newspaper said he was good, it was okay.

In 2013 a certain music reviewer criticized you. Does that hurt you?
Not anymore. I know that my success is sincere and that colleagues respect me. So I don’t suffer anymore because of criticism.

Newspapers review classical orchestras but not yours.
Never.

Once you invited critics on stage.
Yes, in the beginning of my career. That was a Limburg joke. I invited two notorious Limburg critics, who always wrote in a cynical way. I invited them on stage. I gave one little bells and the other a whip. They could not do anything right and the audience reacted hilariously! They never wrote anything cynical again.

Universe.
Rieu tells us he is fascinated by the universe. He reads books from the British physicist Stephen Hawking. Why are we here? What are we doing here? “That is so interesting. I developed my own opinion. I remember that my Geography teacher at the elementary school said that Europe, Africa, North and South America had been one continent in early history. I noticed that immediately, I told him because the pieces fit together. He didn't like that.

Were you a smart child?
No, not all. My mother thought I was a moron, because I had not yet spoken a single word before I was 2 years old. My father was a conductor and he demanded complete dedication from his children. I started to play the violin at 5. While friends played soccer outside, I had to follow lessons in solfège and ear training. It was tough. A child never wants something that has to be done and I was forced to learn to play the violin.

What was it like to play in your father’s orchestra? (around 1980 in The Limburg Symphony Orchestra).
Not so nice. It was like a civil service atmosphere. It was uncomfortable for me. “There comes the son-of …. ” Colleagues thought I was being favored. “We have to be nice, while we hate that man”. It was still the time that conductors were appointed for life. When my father stopped, it became more fun for me.

Did you speak with your father about that?
No, I had a difficult relationship with him. We never spoke too much and certainly not during that time.

You started the Maastricht Salon Orchestra in 1978 as a precursor to the Johann Strauss Orchestra.
What was his opinion about that?
He hated it. He did not say so, but I just knew. I played on weddings and parties. He did not send me to the conservatory for that!


Have you ever received his recognition?
He attended a concert once in Heerlen, but left halfway through. After that he wrote me a letter with the comment: “If someone can do it, it is André Rieu”. But he never gave me his blessings, he never embraced me. I found that very difficult. I think such things are important for children. On the other side: I should be thankful for his discipline and genes, which led to my career now.

Your father passed away in 1992. Do you regret that he did not experience your big break through?
I don’t know. I don’t even know if he would have appreciated it. My mother lived a long life (she died in 2018 at the age of 98) and she never said anything about it either.

Why not?
Because they never believed in me. My sister Teresia was their favorite. She was much bolder. Yes, I am on stage now, but actually I am very shy. As a child I was happy just sitting in a corner.

Have you ever taken steps to improve the relationship with your parents?
Yes, over 40 years ago I went into therapy, together with my wife Marjorie. The therapist said: You have to go on with your life. And that is what I did.

Then after one hour, press lady Marie gestures that we have to finish the interview. Where does the Maestro have to go? “I once wanted a new kitchen. My wife agreed under one condition: I had to cook for her”. We said goodbye and there he went: walking along the St. Servaas Church. He has to do the shopping!

Thanks to Ineke for article, her and John's translations
Photo by Rebecca Fertinel

3 comments:

Sharon said...

I always love knowing the simple things of Andre.Thank you for sharing.

Francine Chavanon said...

Superbe article ! André s'exprime avec simplicité et sensibilité. Son succès est tellement mérité par son talent et son perfectionnisme malgré les difficultés. Bravo et merci Maestro! Une inconditionnelle depuis toujours, Francine.

Unknown said...

Przepraszam, że po Polsku-ale mi łatwiej.Nie przypuszczałam, że tak wiele Nas łączy-trudne dzieciństwo.Jestesmy Oboje spod znaku Wagi (inne dekady) i ta sama wrażliwość.Daleka jestem od łatwego podziwu(nie należy tego robić według mnie z wielu względów). Niemniej bezgranicznie doceniam artyzm i Człowieka, który poprostu kocha ludzi.Pana muzyka koi duszę i raduje serce.Pozdrawiamy ciepło wraz z mym synem Michałem.Marzanna Olter

CLICK ON LINK BELOW TO CONTINUE READING ALL ARTICLES ON THE HARMONY PARLOR!!

.

.

.

.
Pierre and André September 30, 2016 Maastricht

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.
Photo Taken at Mexico City Concert ~ September 2013

.

.

.

.
"Hello to all my fans on The Harmony Parlor!"


Soundcheck in Maastricht 2013 (RTL Photo)



Maastricht 2012 ~ "André on The Theater Steps" by Bee

Maastricht 2012 ~ "André and Pierre on The Theater Steps" by Bee

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST WEEK

TOP TEN VIEWED POSTS IN THE PAST THIRTY DAYS

TOP TEN ALL TIME VIEWED POSTS